How To Cover Medical Costs After An Accident

How can I cover my accident injuries if I don’t have health insurance?

An at-fault party’s insurance company will not pay for your injury related medical treatment as you are treating. It will only pay you a lump sum when you are ready to settle at best. That means an injury victim is left to figure out how to pay for his or her medical treatment in order to get well first and foremost and also to build a good claim against the at-fault party after an accident.

Insurance companies use this fact to their advantage. They will offer you a very low settlement number quickly after you notify them of your claim in hopes you will take it to pay for your injuries. For example, I have heard of insurance companies offering clients up to $4,000.00 for treatment in exchange for settling the entire claim before the client knows how hurt he or she is.

You don’t want to accept such an offer. If you don’t, they hope you will not be able to find help with paying your medical expenses and thus will not get the treatment you need. This means they can ultimately settle your claim very cheap. Either way the insurance company wins.

What then do you do if you are injured and have no health insurance to pay your bills as you treat?

Believe it or not, there are ways to get medical coverage for accident injuries even if you don’t have health insurance. Certainly, if you have it, have your own health insurance cover your injury related medical expenses. There are, however, two other ways to pay for the treatment of accident injuries if you don’t have health insurance.

Med-Pay Insurance Coverage

The first way to pay for accident injuries involves the use of Med Pay Coverage provided either by the at-fault party’s insurance company or your own automobile insurance policy if you have a motor vehicle accident claim. Med Pay Coverage (or Medical Pay Coverage) helps pay for accident-related bills no matter who is at fault. The coverage acts like medical insurance up to the policy’s limit and can span a variety of accident scenarios, but must be purchased as an add-on to the main policy.

If you are the victim of an accident, you may be able to get the at-fault party’s Med Pay coverage to pay for your medical care as a lump sum if they have the coverage on their auto policy. The Med Pay insurance company will pay the healthcare provider directly from the available coverage. This coverage is separate from the liability insurance coverage for your actual personal injury claim.

Overall, if you aren’t able to purchase health insurance, (and sometimes even if you are) we recommend discussing Med Pay Coverage with your auto insurer for additional protection in the event of an accident. If you have been in an accident or otherwise injured by someone, find out if the other person’s insurance has Med Pay coverage and at the same time find out if your automobile insurance has Med Pay coverage if you are in an auto accident.

The other way to pay for medical treatment you require as a result of being an accident victim is to hire a reputable personal injury firm that has access to particular relationships that can help you seek treatment. Reputable personal injury attorneys have relationships with companies that will pay your medical bills now with the understanding that they will be reimbursed for those costs at the close of your case without the client having to pay a dime up front. These companies basically treat the payment as a loan that you will pay back out of your case settlement or trial verdict.

Naturally, these companies are very selective with regard to the lawyers they will work with.  Boling Rice LLC has formed relationships with several companies that will treat our clients on a lien because they know our injury lawyers will be successful with the case and thus pay them back. We have helped countless uninsured clients get treatment for their injuries while we pursue their cases – all without the injured client incurring any out-of-pocket costs up front.

If you are currently the victim of an auto accident or other injury related incident and need help paying your medical bills, please contact Boling Rice, LLC at (770) 355-0780 for a FREE initial consultation at one of our four Atlanta/North Georgia locations.